If your teeth are not straight, and you want help with the problem, you may be able to choose Invisalign treatment. It can be used instead of traditional braces in some circumstances.
Invisalign is a popular choice of treatment with many people because it´s more discreet than metal braces. However, there are pros and cons to Invisalign treatment, and it’s not suitable for everyone.
What is Invisalign treatment?
Before we go into the pros and cons of Invisalign treatment, what is it? In basic terms, Invisalign involves the use of a series of clear plastic trays. These aligners are custom made so that they are an exact fit for each patient. The aligners are placed over the teeth in order to straighten them. As the teeth become straighter, the aligners are replaced. The period of time that is required to complete Invisalign treatment is generally 6-18 months.
Pros and cons of Invisalign treatment
There are several positive and negative aspects of using Invisalign treatment. Let’s start by looking at the positives.
- Invisalign aligners are made from clear plastic. This means they. They do not have a significant effect on appearance in the way that metal braces do.
- Invisalign aligners can be removed when wearers are eating or cleaning their teeth. This means that teeth do not suffer damage as can happen when wearers of traditional braces are unable to brush their teeth properly.
- Invisalign treatment is less uncomfortable for the patient than using traditional braces.
- Full dental hygiene can be maintained throughout the Invisalign treatment process.
The invisalign cons aspects of treatment are:
- The cost of the treatment is often higher than the cost of wearing traditional metal braces.
- The treatment can sometimes be less effective because Invisalign aligners can be removed. This happens if patients remove the aligners to eat or brush their teeth and forget to put them back in. It´s important not to let this happen, because if the trays are not worn for the correct amount of time, the treatment is unlikely to work as it should.
- The treatment is not suitable for everyone. Invisalign treatment usually only works when a small/moderate amount of correction is required. It’s not suitable when teeth are severely crooked or when there is a major bite issue.
Is Invisalign treatment a good option?
The truth is that Invisalign is a good option for some people but not for others. It’s a less intrusive way of straightening teeth than traditional braces, but it’s not useful in more severe cases of teeth misalignment. If you are wondering whether Invisalign is a good choice for you, take a closer look at the pros and cons listed in this article and speak to an orthodontist. Then you can make an informed decision.