Many teenagers dread the idea of having braces fearing it will drastically alter their appearance and affect their lifestyle in a long and drawn-out affair. However, there is now a much less noticeable solution for straightening teeth. Instead of brackets and wires, Invisalign Teen offers clear aligners which are made of a smooth, removable SmartTrack plastic material that’s virtually invisible, allowing your child to smile with confidence.
Why get braces as a teenager?
Although it’s never too late to engage in teeth straightening treatment, the ideal time to begin is between the ages of 12 and 13. At this point, you should have most, if not all, of your adult teeth, but your jawbone and facial structure is still developing. This makes it easier to adjust the position of the tooth roots compared to adulthood. There are many benefits to teeth straightening including:
- Greater confidence in your smile
- Improved facial aesthetics
- Less chance of damage to prominent or misaligned teeth
- A better bite for chewing and eating
- Easier oral hygiene
It is particularly important to highlight the life-long oral hygiene boost which comes with straighter teeth. Misaligned are usually harder to clean meaning more plaque will build up, leading to tooth decay. As the years go on, you’re more likely to need fillings, crowns, and even extractions.
What is Invisalign Teen?
The Invisalign Teen system has been developed by an industry-leading team of renowned scientists and engineers, who are continuously innovating to improve the path to a beautiful, straighter smile. The system consists of:
- Invisalign Teen, the world’s most advanced clear aligner.
- Digital imaging so you can see your teen’s smile before you begin the treatment.
- Software, showcasing a digital roadmap of your teen’s new smile.
- SmartTrack material, clinically proven to control the teeth movement.
- Vivera retainers, to keep the smile of teen for a long time.
How does Invisalign Teen work?
Invisalign offers a radically different approach to traditional non-removable metal brackets, instead comprising of several sets of transparent, removable, custom-moulded clear aligners. These can be removed for up to 2 hours each day. This allows for more freedom in any busy teenager’s lifestyle. Invisalign Teen also has a few special features, designed specifically for teenagers:
- Blue wear-indicators – These fade from blue to clear on each clear aligner to help you, your orthodontist and your teenager themselves gauge wear over time.
- Six free replacement aligners are included – This is useful in case they get misplaced.
- Special features guiding new teeth growth – The aligners take into account new teeth growth, such as canines, second premolars and second molars, helping them adopt a planned, straighter position.
Which conditions which can be treated with Invisalign Teen?
Invisalign Teen can be used to treat mild to complex teeth straightening issues. It is most commonly adopted to treat the following conditions:
- Overly crowded or crooked teeth – Overcrowding can get worse over time, and result in severely crooked teeth. This crowding can lead to plaque accumulation, tooth decay and an increased chance of gum disease.
- Gapped Teeth – Spacing issues and gaps between teeth can lead to gum problems (due to lack of protection by the teeth), periodontal pockets and increased risk of periodontal disease.
- Deep Bite – Deep bite can lead to gum problems or irritation, and/or wear on the lower teeth, and can cause painful jaw and joint problems.
- Underbite – An underbite can prevent the normal function of front teeth or molars, which can lead to tooth wear. It can also cause painful jaw and joint problems.
- Open Bite – Open bite can cause poor or painful chewing, and even speech impairment. It can also lead to greater issues like temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJD).
- Crossbite – Crossbite causes one or more upper teeth to bite on the inside of the lower teeth. This can cause wear of the teeth, gum disease and bone loss.
What are the key benefits of Invisalign Teen for teenagers?
- Discreet and clear, Invisalign Teen makes aligners almost impossible to notice.
- Custom designed for each person, creating a more comfortable experience when worn than traditional braces.
- Freedom to play contact sports or play musical instruments, because aligners can be removed during the activity.
- Teens can eat with freedom, as aligners can be easily removed during mealtimes.
What are the key benefits of Invisalign Teen for parents?
- Perfect for busy parents, as they require on average 40pc less orthodontic appointments, compared to traditional braces.
- Shorter appointments, only 10 min appointment every 8 weeks vs 20 min appointment every 6 weeks for traditional braces.
- No emergency appointments needed, compared to traditional braces which can need emergency treatment for breakages and loose wires.
- Digital treatment planning allows for more precise prediction of treatment results.
- Better oral hygiene: clear aligners can be removed for more effective tooth brushing and flossing.
What does the Invisalign Teen treatment process involve?
- The Consultation – Once you’ve decided on the treatment, your dentist will take a series photos, X-rays and digital scans, or a dental impression, of the teenagers’ teeth. These records will be used to create a ClinCheck 3D treatment plan, tailored to the individual.
- The Aligners – After being custom-made and shipped to the Maida Smiles clinic, you’ll receive a series of aligners to wear every day and change at home – on average every 1-2 weeks.
The Results – We will schedule visits around every 6-8 weeks to monitor progress and to supply new aligners. After finishing your treatment plan, retainers will be required to maintain your new smile.!